Costa Rica’s multi-band 5G auction is expected to commence on 23 October, with the results confirmed on 19 December. As such, the final tender specifications will be prepared by 25 September, following a consultation in the coming weeks. The updated timeline was reported by TeleSemana, which cites Glenn Fallas Fallas, Director General of Quality of Service and Spectrum at the Superintendence of Telecommunications (Sutel).

Mr Fallas Fallas also disclosed certain coverage obligations that will be attached to the 5G licences, noting that 700MHz concessions will specify coverage of 134 ‘priority districts’, with 60% covered in the first twelve months and the remaining 40% covered in year two. 2.3GHz and 3.5GHz licences, meanwhile, will require coverage of areas that are unserved or underserved. These licences will stipulate 20% coverage in year one, 50% in year two and 100% within three years of the licences being granted. No coverage obligations will be attached to millimetre wave (mmWave) spectrum in the 26GHz and 28GHz bands.

TeleGeography notes that the frequency sale will include spectrum in the following bands: 700MHz (703MHz-748MHz/758MHz-803MHz), 2.3GHz (2300MHz-2400MHz), 3.5GHz (3300MHz-3500MHz/3600MHz-3625MHz), 26GHz (24.25GHz-25.50GHz) and 28GHz (27.5GHz-29.5GHz). Additional spectrum in the 2.6GHz (2500MHz-2690MHz) and 3.5GHz (3500MHz-3600MHz/3625MHz-3700MHz) bands may also be freed up ahead of the auction.

Original article can be seen at:

Get the news directly to your inbox

By providing your email address, you agree to receive relevant content from Cenerva. We will not rent or sell your information and you can unsubscribe at any time and can read more in our privacy policy.