Santa Catarina-based ISP Unifique, which was part of a consortium that successfully bid on Brazilian mobile spectrum in 2021, has reportedly enlisted Chinese vendor ZTE to supply it with 5G equipment to support its network rollout. Unifique intends to start testing its 5G network later this month, ahead of a commercial launch in June. The company expects to spend BRL25 million (USD5 million) this year to activate the network.

According to TeleGeography’s GlobalComms Database, Unifique – alongside fellow fixed line operator Ligga Telecom (then known as Copel Telecom) – successfully bid on a regional 3.5GHz licence in November 2021’s 5G spectrum auction. Via the ‘Consorcio 5G Sul’ consortium the companies agreed to pay BRL73.6 million (USD13.3 million) for an 80MHz block of spectrum (3620MHz-3700MHz), while ‘goodwill’ of approximately BRL69 million has been converted into investment commitments serving locations in the south of the country. (Note: Unifique holds a 62.77% stake in the JV, while Ligga owns the remaining 37.23% share.)

Original article can be seen at: